"The only way to be sure you never get published is to give up. Don't give up."
- Cara Lockwood

My Writing Style


.


This weeks topic for the PracticeMakesProse collab challenge is: Our writing styles.

Every writer has their own unique way of writing, a way of writing they are drawn to and that is comfortable for them.  As writers we are also constantly changing, improving, and defining our styles so if you are not sure exactly what your style is yet do not worry; you will be able to identify it the more you write and ponder over what and how you write. 

Writing styles first consist of what genre we tend to write in the most.  The genre that I usually write in the most, as I touched on in my post from last week, is that I love to write young adult romance.  I do occasionally like to write stories for very young readers which do not have romance in them (like children's picture books) but for the majority of my writing I write Young Adult romances.  
Another aspect of our writing style is what point of view we tend to write in.  Of course your style may be that you like to try a different type of viewpoint in each story you write.  My style tends to be first person point of view though.  I have occasionally done third person but I tend to like first person better depending on the story.  Some times it is more effective to write in third person because then you can get different view points and you are not as limited with your writing as you would be in first person.  
A third aspect of a writing style is how the author chooses to layout their stories.  I don't think I really have a set preference for this style yet.  My current project that I'm working on (which you can read more about in previous posts or by clicking on the "My projects" tab above) is set up by chapters and scenes within those chapters.
The next part of writing style is, where do you usually get your inspirations.  For my inspiration I tend to get them from all over.  I am always trying to listen and pay attention for something that may spark an idea though I do end up getting most of my ideas from personal feelings or experiences.  My inspiration that came from my 2010 Nanowrimo novel, "Losing Henry" was some what inspired by a relationship that I was in at the time, all the time I was with him I felt as though I were losing him.  My current project was roughly inspired by stories that my grandmother used to tell me about her teen years and how she met my grandfather.
Lastly is your method of writing...Do you like to write by hand, computer, dictate to someone else or a tape recorder, smoke signals?  My method of writing is definitely by typing on the computer.  I can type much faster than I can write and so I can more easily get my thoughts and feelings out.  When I was younger, before I had a computer or learned how to type, I wrote with pen and paper but now I really feel that I can write so much better with a computer.

I hope you all enjoyed learning a bit more about my writing style.  If you'd like to take part in this collaboration please head on over to PracticeMakesProse and check out the collaboration channel!

Thanks for reading,
<3 Andrea

Your Reply