"The only way to be sure you never get published is to give up. Don't give up."
- Cara Lockwood

Nanowrimo Day 4: Character Setting


.



Daily Writing Dare:

Flash forward twenty years into the future and write a scene that involves at least three of your characters.
*Dare from "No Plot? No Problem! Noveling Workbook" If you decide to use one of the dares, I post on my blog, in your novel I'd love to know and if you'd like to share how you used it, I would love to hear about that too.


Update:
Sorry that my post is getting up so late today.  It has been a busy Sunday.
So I didn't end up doing any writing yesterday.  Today I have to do about 3K to catch up.  After church I went to a write in.  I look forward to this write in each year.  It's really nice.  There are word sprints, prizes to win, and goodies handed out.  Plus a table full of yummy sweets.
So far I've written almost 1K so I still have a bit of a ways to go.  
Today I have been thinking a lot about my decision to write this particular story during Nanowrimo.  It is such an important story and I am thinking that Nanowrimo might not be the best time to write it.  I feel like I'm needing to rush and it is hard for me to track my word count.  Plus I have already written parts of it in the past that I like and of course you're not supposed to add previous words in Nano.  I feel like I should be focusing more time into the story and not rushing through it just for the sake of word count.
Another thing is, is that this is my first time planning a story.  I'm usually a pantser and I thought it would be so much easier planning but I do miss the fun of discovering the story as I write.  Also as others have said, it does feel limiting when you plan a lot of the story.  
I thought this might happen and so I had a back up idea for a story just in case.  I'm not sure yet if I want to go to the back up story and just write this story during non-nano months or stick with it.
Hmmm...I must think more on this.


Character Interview

Each day I will be doing an interview question with my main character, Millie.

Question: 

Describe your day today.

Answer:

*sighs.   My day today...well it started off pretty great.  I was getting ready to play my first real concert with the band and then I got some horrible news.  My life long best friend and boyfriend is getting drafted into the army for two years.  The two of us have never been apart since we met as young children.  Not only will I miss him but it will be dangerous where he is going.  All I have felt like doing is crying..


Daily Topic:

Topic:

Introduce us to the world of your characters. 
*Topic by OneMoreSouthernBelle on YouTube


My Answer:


My story takes place in a small town along the east coast in Virginia in 1945-46 or 47 (not really sure yet).  The characters enjoy spending time on the beach.  Also on the beach is a small amusement park with a large white, wooden roller coaster.
It is mainly a farming town.  One small shopping area with a drug store, grocery store, a couple restaurants, a small movie theatre.
My story takes place at different places within the town.  Millie's house, Sam's house, the amusement park, down at the beach...Some of my story also takes place at a small southern baptist church.
The town in which the story takes place is called, Brightman.  It is a fictitious town but was inspired by two different cities in my area.



Sorry there's not much info here today.  I'll try and do better tomorrow.
I hope all of your writing is going well!

<3 Andrea

Your Reply